Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why are you here?

There is this big dude at my gym. He is just a large mammal. His name is Brian and he is one of the trainers. He and a couple of other trainers at the gym do a bootcamp with a group of people. For the people who have made the conscious decision to actually workout with these people are knowingly submitting to some form of torture. But these trainers actually help get people to their goals...and they are hilarious, at least to me because I am just an onlooker. But I definitely take pointers from them.

When I first started working out there, I was in utter amazement because this group is LOUD. You can always hear grunts, screams, and folks barking orders...and people pay for this! But a few sayings that Brian has definitely stays with me. He says, "This is the weight room. This ain't the break room." And if folks are just standing around talking he says, "Get her phone number or email address." And these two statements are the basis for my commentary. Why are you coming to the gym if the only thing you are doing is socializing or standing around? You can burn the exact same amount of calories snuggled up at home in your bed. If you gonna make the conscious decision to wake up, get dressed, eat a good breakfast, and hit the gym...MAKE IT COUNT! Just going to the gym does not mean anything, you actually have to do the work.

It amazes when I see people just leisurely strolling strolling on the treadmill. Ain't nearly broke a sweat, and probably won't in the 30 minutes they are on it. Not even a drop of sweat on their brow. Why even come? Why waste the gas?

What is even sillier are the people that work out with the trainers and whine and complain the whole time. Clearly you needed the help, otherwise you wouldn't be paying this person almost $50 a session, so why would you fight them the whole session? I see people negotiating with their trainers: "Can I just do 7 reps, instead of 10 right now?" or "This is too harrrrdddd! (In a terribly whiney voice.)" or "How much longer?" Sorry ladies, but women are notorious for these behaviors. I see women crying and stuff and I just wanna yell, "MAN THE EFF UP!" But women are way to sensitive and wanna have a hug fest at the gym and talk about feelings. I just want them to try. Men will at least try to do the workout without so much complaining.

The folks that come into the gym and just half-ass it, actually do more harm to themselves than good...in my opinion. These people are actually thinking that since they are "working out" AKA showing up to the gym, they can eat that extra slice of cake or that whole Chipotle burrito. They justify eating more or bad things because they did their sad leisurely stroll, that they considered a workout. I can speak for myself on this one because I have gained weight even while consistently working out. The thing is, food should be fuel. And if you are not actually using that fuel, maybe you should not keep filling up your tank...that why the tank is overflowing into all available compartments of the car. So if you gonna be there, make it count and break a sweat.

LaQuesha

No comments:

Post a Comment